1. New laws or regulations
State level: No developments.
Local level (Beijing & Shanghai): No developments.
Communist Party Rules: No developments.
2. Upcoming laws or regulations
3. Government Action
(1) In early June, Zhang Longjun (“Zhang”), the former Dean of Shangyu Traditional Chinese Medicine Hospital (the “Hospital”), together with Chen An (“Chen”) and Zhao Zhigang (“Zhao”), the former Vice Dean of the Hospital, were respectively sentenced to ten years’, two years’ and eight months’ imprisonment respectively for taking bribes by the People’s Court of Shangyu District, Shaoxing City, Zhejiang Province. Additionally, Zhang, Chen, and Zhao were fined RMB 1.8 million (USD 270,148), RMB 300,000 (USD 45,024) and RMB 350,000 (USD 52,528) respectively.
Zhang was found to have manipulated medical supplies, job promotion arrangements, and medical resource allocations in return for illegal proceeds including RMB 3.83 million (USD 574,816), HKD 123,000 (USD 105,629), and USD 1,000 in cash, while Chen and Zhao were found to have accepted bribes of RMB 646,300 (USD 96,998) and RMB 700,000 (USD 105,057) respectively.
(2) On June 15, 2016, Ding Fengyun (“Ding”), the former Party Committee Secretary of Linyi University, was tried for embezzlement and bribe-taking by Intermediate People’s Court of Heze City, Shandong Province.
The prosecutor asserted that during her term of office from August 2010 to December 2012, Ding took advantage of her positions as the Member of Linyi Municipal Standing Committee, as the Director of the Propaganda Department of Linyi City, and as Party Committee Secretary of Linyi University to, independently or in collusion with others, embezzle public funds totaling more than RMB 7.58 million (USD 1.13 million). Ding was also found guilty of seeking illegal benefits for other individuals or entities in bidding processes, promotions or adjustments of job titles, and company restructurings by taking advantage of her multiple positions in exchange for bribes in the form of cash and shopping or debit cards amounting to RMB 1.26 million (USD 189,104).
The court determined that it would announce its judgement on another given day.
(3) On June 16, 2016, Bai Enpei (“Bai”), the former Vice Chairman of the Environmental and Resources Protection Committee of the National People’s Congress, was tried by the Intermediate People’s Court of Anyang City, Henan Province for taking bribes and holding a large amount of property from unidentified sources.
Allegedly, during his term of office from 2000 to 2013, Bai took advantage of his positions as the Secretary of Qinghai Province Party Committee, the Secretary of Yunnan Province Party Committee, and the vice chairman of the Environmental and Resources Protection Committee of National People’s Congress by furnishing assistance to 17 companies and individuals in engineering construction, real estate development, access to mineral rights, and title promotions. Bai, directly or indirectly through his wife, obtained illegal properties from the above companies and individuals exceeding RMB 246 million (USD 36.9 million) in total. Further, the amount of Bai’s family property and expenditure significantly exceeded his legitimate income, and Bai failed to explain the source of such property.
Bai pleaded guilty during the trial. The court said that it would announce its judgement on another day.
(4) On June 29, 2016, Wang Hanshen (“Wang”), the former Party Member of Yiwu Municipal People’s Government of Zhejiang Province was sentenced by the Jindong District People’s Court of Yiwu City to 10 years’ and 6 months’ imprisonment for taking bribes, plus the fines of RMB 1 million (USD 150,082).
Wang was accused of taking advantage of his position from 2007 to 2009 in seeking illegal benefits for others in exchange for bribes amounting to RMB 5.52 million (USD 828,455). Wang was given a lighter sentence due to his confession and his return of the illegal gains.