1. New laws or regulations
State level: No developments.
Local level (Beijing & Shanghai): No developments.
Communist Party Rules: No developments.
2. Upcoming laws or regulations
3. Government Action
(1) On November 3, 2015, Li Chongxi (“Li”), the former Chairman of Sichuan Provincial Committee of Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (“CPPCC”), was sentenced by the Intermediate People’s Court of Nanchang City, Jiangxi Province to 12 years’ imprisonment with confiscation of personal property of 1 million RMB (USD 156,200) for taking bribes.
The court found that while holding office, Li provided illegal assistance to entities and individuals such as Chengdu Construction Engineering Group Corporation and Sichuan Gardener Real Estate Development Co., Ltd. etc. by abusing his power. He and his wife accepted cash in Renminbi and US dollar from the mentioned bribe-givers at an aggregate amount exceeding RMB 11 million (USD 1.71million). For those pecuniary gains, Li unlawfully secured various benefits including granting the state-owned land development rights, facilitating the election of member of Sichuan CPPCC standing committee, etc. Li was given a lighter sentence due to his confession and return of illegal gains.
(2) On November 6, 2015, Beijing First Intermediate People’s Court issued a court verdict, sentencing Song Jian’guo (“Song”), the former Chief of Traffic Management Department of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau to life imprisonment.
Song, during his term of office from 2004 to 2014, exploiting his power as the chief of Tongzhou Branch of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau and the Traffic Management Department of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau, solicited and accepted bribes amounting to RMB 23.9 million (USD 3.73 million), from the legal representatives or responsible persons of Beijing Crescent United Motors Corporation, Beijing Maqiao Dragon Real Estate Co., Ltd and Beijing Pangu Investment Co., Ltd. etc. In return, Song secured various favors such as the granting of Beijing motor vehicle license plates and a license to operate a driving school.
(3) On November 13, 2015, Luo Weiguo (“Luo”), the former head of Discipline Inspection Group of the Land Recourse Department of Guangxi Province was sentenced to 15 years in prison by Guilin Intermediate People’s Court of Guangxi Province.
During his term of office from 2005 to March 2011, Luo was found to have abused his position in favor of Nanning Fangte Engineering Equipment Co., Ltd and certain individuals in exchange for bribes in the amount of RMB 7.07 million (USD 1.1 million) individually or collectively with others. Even after retirement, Luo was found to have continued procuring unlawful benefits in land development and consolidation projects by using his established influence and relationships, individually and collectively with others, accepting bribes totaling RMB 7.92 million( USD 1.23 million).
(4) On November 15, 2015, Jiang Ming (“Jiang”), the former Secretary of Party Committee of Lishui District, Nanjing City was sentenced to 9 years and 3 months in prison by the Intermediate People’s Court of Huaian City, Jiangsu Province for taking bribes, as well as for bigamy. Jiang’s personal property valued at RMB 800,000 (USD 124,960) was confiscated.
Allegedly, Jiang abused his power by providing illegal benefits to a wide range of third parties. In return, Jiang solicited and accepted bribes exceeding 3.68 million RMB (USD 574,816), all of which have been turned over to the state treasury. Also, Jiang was found to have lived as a husband with and fathered a daughter with a woman despite an existing marriage. Jiang was given a lighter sentence due to his confession.
(5) On November 19, 2015, Zhu Zuoli (“Zhu”), the former Vice-Chairman of CPPCC of Shanxi Province was sentenced by the Intermediate People’s Court of Langfang City, Hebei Province to 11 years in prison, with confiscation of his personal property of RMB 500,000 (USD 78,100) for accepting bribes.
Zhu was found guilty of procuring for various individuals and entities favors and unlawful pecuniary interests related to governmental financial subsidies, approvals of projects, job promotions, etc. The bribes that he accepted amounted to nearly RMB 8.54 million (USD 1.33 million) during his term of office from 2006 to 2013.
5. China-related FCPA Action